Saturday, March 22, 2014

Toys that have the touch

I am always on the hunt for toys that will work for Sophie.  Sophie's cerebral palsy makes it difficult for her to press little buttons but it is very hard to find toys that don't need that capability.  To find a toy with music and lights that is easily activated is a celebration in this house.




This past Christmas I came across a Leap Frog Touch Magic toy and I couldn't wait for Sophie to try it out. It just requires a very light swipe, very similar to the Ipad, to activate the music or instruments on the touch pad.  It doesn't captivate Sophie but it is definitely something she can do on her own which is fantastic.  I know that there are other versions as well, like the Learning Bus and Counting Train which I hope to find at some point for her. We have the Ocean Music School version and luckily it is a very reasonably priced toy, I paid about $15 on sale.



Sophie does very well swiping the different areas but I wish that the toy didn't turn off so fast with inactivity.  Sometimes it takes a while for Sophie to get into it and it has already turned off.  Kind of frustrating.  Other than that I love it and it is so nice to have something fun and musical that is new for her to work on her fine and gross motor skills with.


More recently I came across a toy on clearance that I had been searching for at Christmas and couldn't find anywhere.  So bonus that I found it super cheap ($7) and it has been another one that is great for her fine motor skills.




 This toy is a My First Crayola Touch Lights, it has a mess free gel pad with all different glow light colours as well as many different musical songs.  It is a really neat sensory experience for Sophie, the gel pad feels cool under her fingers and the lights and music keep her engaged.  Each time the button is pressed it changes song and colour, the button is large so I am hoping over time Sophie will learn to hit it.



I am always keeping my eyes peeled for new ideas and these ones were a hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment