Saturday, May 7, 2011

Going nowhere fast & saying goodbye

This is one of those weeks that seemed to go by in slow motion as it was happening, but now that it has come and gone it seems like it was all in a flash. 
We have one girl who is so sick she can't seem to catch a break and one boy who is ready to roll into summer and has so much energy that can't be harnessed, but has nowhere to unleash it to begin with.  I am sick on antibiotics and Jason is at his busiest time of year at work with marking exams. Ugh.

A new skill...the cobra

Sophie has been struggling along.  Her ear infection has left the building, but the damage done by the pneumonia just can't seem to take the hint and leave.  Her reactive airway disease is in full overdrive and one coughing spell turns into another and before you know it there is no time to breathe for my girl.  She goes into panic mode and the crying out, sputtering, choking, coughing, moaning and yelling with an attitude that I have not seen in a very long time, emerges.  She is gasping for air with a stridor so strong it takes me back to how she sounded before her surgery to remove her adinoids 2 1/2 years ago.


There is nothing we can do for her other than position her in the way that she is comfortable and give her her ventolin treatments and chest physio.  Otherwise, it is all just a waiting game.  We spent the month of February last year dealing with RSV and all the same issues we are seeing now.  It is just not fair and I would do anything to give her some relief.  I am hoping that she turns a corner soon, maybe this beautiful sunny weather will help her along.
---------------------------------------------

Saying Goodbye

With the renewal that comes when spring arrives I have felt the urge to clean house and get the gardens started.   Hopefully I can get started soon.   We did get a few things out for the spring cleanup and it felt good to purge some of that old junk that was just taking up space in the garage or basement. 
But one item caused me to hesitate. 
Do you have something that when you see it, it reminds you of your child's babyhood?  Of so many hours spent with it there that it is hard to part with, no matter how silly it seems to keep.
This was one of those things...


Yep, a baby rocker.  This thread bare, old baby rocker was a Godsend for many years.  We received this as a gift when Lucas was born.  He used to hangout in this before he could sit up on his own or just for some downtime to quietly play when he was little.

 
Lucas at about 3 weeks old.

When Sophie arrived this was her safe zone.  We could do her tube feeds in it, she loved to rock in it and eventually learned to rock herself.  I could run to the bathroom and know that she was ok.  This chair took so many hits of Sophie barf I am amazed it isn't in shreds from all the washings.  Wait, it is in shreds lol.

Sophie at about 4 months old, a couple days after finally coming home from the hospital.

We found a second one at a mom to mom sale so we had a backup, we took it travelling with us wherever we went. 

I have hundreds and hundreds of photos of Lucas in this chair, thousands of Sophie.  It usually had a blanket behind her, to catch the vomit (I know, lovely) or sometimes just to make it pretty for the pictures.

Lucas had his first solid food in this chair, held his first toy on his own.  Sophie had her first smiles in this chair, met her cousin for the first time and so many other firsts.  It is hard to say goodbye to something that holds so many memories. 

But, my two aren't babies anymore.  We couldn't wedge Sophie in this chair now if we tried.
As hard as it is, it's time to say so long blue chair (as you were lovingly known lol), time to move on.  Thanks for the good times :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish Sophie could catch that break! There's lots of sunshine coming and if Mother Nature could finally take the hint and get sunny, maybe the nasty bugs in Sophie will follow suit and leave. :(

    Those pictures in the chair are so gorgeous and squishy delicious! I have the same angst about getting rid of our baby stuff. Except mine is more like the whole basement and not just one chair. Actually, I think our bouncy chair or our swing or bassinette are going to be that difficult to get rid of. Oh! It makes me a little teary to even imagine it!! Stay strong, we're thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear Sophie is still fighting her pneumonia. I hope it isn't much longer before she is all better and back to her usual self.

    I too have items I'm attached to...but I'm trying to get over that. We need the space in the house so I am slowly cleaning items to try to sell them. We have one of those rocker chairs too...still not sure if this is the time we'll get rid of it. E is oversized for it...and likely wouldn't fit now anyway, but there is a hesitant part of me.

    ReplyDelete