Thursday, November 17, 2011

I know how to do this, really.

The Good
Sophie is feeling better.  But it has been a long 11 days.
We have done this before, dealing with Sophie sick, but it doesn't really get easier.  I hate seeing her in pain, I hate seeing her struggle and I wish I could make it all ok. 

She is done her medicines now and her doctor said that she is now just dealing with the collateral damage of the infection.  Her reactive airway disease is still making her struggle and her body is needing time to heal even though the infection should be gone now.  But each day we are seeing huge improvement. 

Yesterday was the first day I was seeing smiles between the coughing episodes.  She even took time out to make cookies with my mom yesterday when she came for a visit.



She is on the upswing and I hope that she is back to her happy, healthy self before we know it.

The Bad
Tuesday night I had something happen that hadn't happened before. I knew she was about to have a seizure before it happened.  I don't know how but I did.  She was very uncomfortable and wouldn't stop kicking her legs and just wouldn't settle and fall asleep.  I was asking her if her tummy hurt or her head or her legs and so on.  She didn't really respond with anything that I could take as a yes.  Then I asked her if she thought she was going to have a seizure.  She looked so anxious and scared.   I picked her up and layed her across my lap and rocked her, within five minutes she was asleep.  Five minutes after that she started having a seizure.

I think that Sophie was experiencing an aura of the seizure to come, which often happens with some people.  Her anxious behaviour was just so out of place.  Maybe she just needed permission to relax and let it loose.  Who knows.

I so wish my girl could tell me.

The Ugly
You wouldn't know it from this picture but I put her diapers on everyday. I have been putting diapers on kids for 8 years now - why couldn't I figure this one out!!! It was ridiculous!!  It took me 10 minutes to get it looking this good.


I had requested some diapers from our home health care store to try for Sophie because her regular diapers are getting small.  Sophie has had a bad reaction to one brand of diaper so I am trying to get ahead of the game and find something that will work.  This was one brand that lots of moms rave about on a forum that I belong to.  Let's just say I am not sad (or surprised) that she peed out the side of this one in about 3 minutes flat and I won't have to try these on her again for a long time.  :p  

To add to this week's ridiculousness I have a bad cold and Jason sprained his ankle quite badly.  .  Oh yeah, and I found the dog rolling in dog poop in the backyard today. 
Good times.

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your rough week. :( I sure hope next week is a better one.
    That second pic of Sophie and your mom is so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way she looks at grandma is the way all kids look at their grandma :) Love the cookie baking.

    -Jessica

    **Fell better to everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried Good Nights? I have a few here that you could try. I find them bigger then Pampers size 7...Do you get the Easter Seals Grant?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, you have had quite a couple of long weeks. I'm so glad that Sophie is coming out of this, but am sorry she's still feeling off.

    I agree, that picture of her and your mom is priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How wonderful that your mom was baking with Sophie. She looks so happy to be helping. :) You can tell there is lots of love in those cookies. That is really intersting that she likely felt the seizure coming on, I wonder if you being calm about it helped her through it better... And wow, that is one complicated looking diaper!!! What's with all the stickies? I never even thought of the Good Nights that were suggested (thanks for posting that Cheri), I have some you could try as well. Get better - all of you!

    ReplyDelete