Monday, January 9, 2012

Homebound - in a good way

After the Christmas rush it is always nice to have a bit of down time at home.  Usually we are buried under a couple feet of snow by now, but this week it only stayed for a short time and now most of it has melted. That green lawn was not a welcome sight for Lucas, he was loving playing in the snow. He was actually volunteering to take the dog with me each night for his walk, Lucas would get all his gear on and would bounce through the walk like a rabbit. Diving here, rolling down that snowbank, he had never ending energy and it was so much fun for him.


Lucas was able to have some playdates at our house this week, which was nice for me because Jason has been away at a conference for the last 6 days, so Lucas having someone to play with gave me a few hours with Sophie each day.   We had an afternoon of fort building and Lucas made a stuffed animal fort with one of his buddies, we watched some movies and some football games.  It was more a do what you can to get through to bedtime than a planned activity schedule.


Sophie has been doing really well and she has been enjoying doing all sorts of stuff. She made some homemade playdough with our friend Ann, Sophie made a mess and she loved every second of it. Sensory play is definitely one of Sophie's favourite activities and this was great fun. Cherry koolaid made it smell delicious (it is actually edible playdough) and it is soooooo much fun to get your hands in to mix it all up. This project embodies active learning, it is so important to me that Sophie gets to participate on her terms during play.


We were able to spend some time with her cousin this week and they had a blast as well.  Zoe is Sophie's shadow.  She loves being with her and she loves helping her when she thinks she needs it.  Zoe is almost 4 and she is starting to understand a little bit more that Sophie is different, but to her it just means the opportunity to be a better cousin.  I love that.


Lucas was back to school today and he was excited.  He wanted to leave 20 minutes earlier than we usually do and I didn't have to get on him to get ready.  On one hand I was sad that our vacation was over (well, it was over last week when I was at work a few of the days, but even still) and on the other hand I was happy that he was enjoying the thought of seeing his friends.

Playing his new Wii game - this was olympic synchronized swimming, I was laughing so hard watching him do this game I was nearly crying.

Tonight Lucas was pretty hyper but also tired from his day at school and he and Sophie were both excited to see daddy home.  Sophie is passed out but Lucas is fighting sleep.  It's so hard to get back on that school time clock, hopefully in a couple of days it will be easier.

2 comments:

  1. So glad to hear that Sophie is doing well! :) It sounds like you made the most of the school break and like the kids had a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep meaning to make playdoh with koolaid, but I never have. Must do that. We got Just Dance for the Wii and watching Rach and Cor do duets almost makes me pee my pants. I've made a billion videos that I cannot show to anyone. They usually dance half naked. Kids are hilarious.

    ReplyDelete