Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sun and Sand

We have made a couple trips to the cottage in the last few weeks, the last one for 6 days.  It was during the heat wave, which we didn't realize at the time, so we are thankful we were by the water.  It was still incredibly hot but it seems manageable when you can go swimming whenever you want.


Sophie did pretty well but her exzema went out of control.  She has some terrible spots in the creases of her arms and legs that look like burns.  We are still trying to get them under control.  This is her third outbreak this summer so far, the poor thing.  Sophie had a great time at the cottage though and I think that the fresh air and swims in the lake keep her (and Lucas) happy.





On Canada Day we went for a walk to the beach all kitted out in our red and white.  In the evening Lucas and I went to see the fireworks.  We hadn't really taken him to them since he was a toddler so it was long overdue.  He said he like the "gentle softer" sounding ones.  I don't blame him.




The next day we did a side trip to Owen Sound and went to the beach there.  The water was much colder as it is part of Georgian Bay, but Lucas was a trooper and went in with Jason.  Sophie and I decided we would just chill out by the shore. 

I love the kilt towel we found for him in Scotland :)

Sophie is getting so big it was even hard last summer to get her into the little pop up sun tent we have.  So this winter I purchased a new one online.  I was able to find a sun tent that has an extra tall height that we can just walk into and that has a zipper front for privacy so that I can change Sophie in it for years to come.  She thought it was great because there was plenty of room for Lucas to join us in there too.


We also bought a cot to change or lay Sophie on so that she is up off the sand, dirt or pavement depending on where we are.  It will give her a place to lay flat if we are away from home for a long stretch but she won't have to be on the ground.  I bought it at Jysk last year and I am so glad I did, I waffled for 1/2 an hour lol.  I love it when I find a new piece of equipment that can be adapted to our needs without having to spend a fortune on "special needs" equipment.


All bundled up after a cool dip
We had a wonderful trip with lots of ice cream and swimming and sunsets.  So much more to come as it is just the start of July.  Unfortunately Sophie came home with a cold that she has since shared with Lucas and myself, but hopefully we will all be healthy for our next adventure.


1 comment:

  1. That looks like lots of fun! I agree with Lucas though, I prefer the softer sounding ones...I don't see why they have to make them so loud, pretty is the key for me. ;) What a great sun tent! We bought an umbrella at JYSK that we figure might be easier to tote around should we decide to bring him (DH's idea - I suggested a sun tent). I like the idea of the cot too...might have to keep our eyes out for something like that at some point. It sure is nice not to have to pay 'Special Needs' prices for equipment that you (and many 'typical' people) could use. I hope everyone is recovered from their colds.

    ReplyDelete