Sunday, September 16, 2012

Going to big school

The day we had prepared for for almost 3 years was upon us.  Sophie was on her way to big school, she was off to grade one.


She was so ready and she seemed very excited when we arrived at school.  For the first time we weren't just dropping Lucas off, she got to go in the school and settle into a class as well.

She has loved it.


However it has been two of the most trying weeks of our lives with Sophie for something that is not medical.  We have some major, major, major issues with the support staff provided to Sophie.  Did I mention major issues? 

We are working on it.  I am losing sleep.  I was shedding tears.  I am now in full on mamabear mode. 

The important thing is that to this point, Sophie is still loving the new experiences and making friendships!  The children in her class are nothing short of everything we expected.  Curious at first, but now accepting, friendly, helpful and sweet towards Sophie.  Our whole reason for sending Sophie to an inclusive classroom.  Her teacher is wonderful and has lots of ideas for the year.  Her therapy team and school nurses are all totally on board. 

Lucas' friends are coming to say hello to Sophie on the playground at recess and lunch.  They are so special to us.  She eats it up.  Especially when Lucas comes to say hi as well.

Lucas is loving grade four.

 
Grade four.  It seems impossible while rolling off my tongue.  But there he is, in the big kid hall that seemed so far away even last year.  He is learning french and loving it.  I am so proud of him!
 
We will get through this mini crisis with Sophie, we always do.  Her neurologist told me one day, a few years ago, that this will be my job.  To be her advocate, that I will always have to be there for her, that she will need me when she is in school.  He was right and I am taking those words to heart.  He was also the first of many Dr.'s to tell me that Sophie should be in an inclusive class.  That he believed in her abilities. 
 
 
I do too.

3 comments:

  1. Happy School Year!!
    I was waiting for the back to school post.
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becks,

    So thrilled for Sophie, and Lucas is amazing looking after his little sister at school it melts my heart. Miss you guys and hope things are getting easier with each day. Thanks for posting the great pictures Sophie on her first school day.

    Loads of love,
    andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting that Sophie is enjoying school...that sucks that you're having some major issues though! I hope they resolve soon! How great of Lucas and his friends to come say hi to her in the play yard! Kids can be pretty great! Fingers crossed you're able to post soon that everything has worked out!

    ReplyDelete