Thursday, October 4, 2012

Spooky sensory play

Yesterday I had a bit of time to hit the dollar store.  I love that place, you never know what gems you are going to come across.  I found some Halloween items for Sophie to use and we broke them out tonight.  I am always searching for play items that will work with her cortical vision impairment, certain colours, shinyness and textures.  It can be hard to keep her attention if she can't see/hear/feel any of it.

 
I found some gel clings that had some Halloween shapes like a witch and stars and letters that spelled "trick or treat".  I also found some little battery operated spider lights that I LOVE, as well as a Pumpkin glow necklace.  Sophie was very curious about it all.


I pulled out Sophie's mirror and stuck the gel clings on.  Gel clings are great because they stick to any solid surface and they are fun to touch, very sensory in nature.  Of course the mirror is always one of Sophie's favourites too.  We will definitely use all of this on the lightbox as well.

Sophie's teacher has included the words orange and green for this months sight words so the colour scheme is perfect.  We are also working hard on introducing letters.  I am trying to incorporate some of the programming from school at home so that it is hopefully easier for Sophie to recognize and remember some of her school work.


I added on the little spider lights to the mirror and voila, a CVI friendly setup.  I will get out more of the fall and Halloween sensory play things over the next few weeks. 

A few houses up the street from us has the most beautiful tree that is in full on colour change, I think we may have to use some of the leaves in a fall project or two.  :)

3 comments:

  1. She looks really interested in that! In those pictures, Sophie looks so much older than the last time I saw her. She's getting so mature!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some pretty neat lights! As always, I am amazed at all your sensory activities!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you guys had fun!!!
    I know its been a long time!!!
    Do you have FB if so add me...Kathleen Waves

    ReplyDelete