Monday, April 22, 2013

Baby pool ball pit / sensory bin

Do you ever have an idea that you know what you want to accomplish, but just aren't sure how to do it?  Well, I have been planning this little sensory ball pit in my mind for some time now.  When I started looking for some birthday presents for Sophie I came across some different trays for special needs uses that I thought would work well for Sophie in her wheelchair. 
 

We have always used little plastic Rubbermaid type shoebox containers to contain balls, sand, Epsom salts, beads and other items that would just roll or fall off of Sophie's tray otherwise.  The problem is that Sophie's arms don't bend the way that they should so it is really hard for her to get her hands and forearms up and in the containers even though the sides aren't really all that high.

 

So here is where my plan came in.  I found this online and I thought it would be perfect!  It has squishy sides that her arms could rest on but it would still hold items in the centre.  The only thing is it is too big for her tray.  Then, one day Lucas and I were wandering in the dollar store and we came across an inflatable baby pool.  It is the funniest thing because it is only as wide the kitchen sink.  You aren't gettin' the neighbourhood kids in this pool.  However it is perfect for what I wanted to use it for and it is only a dollar!  I love it when a plan comes together!


Lucas and I found all the balls, the easter egg garland that had fallen apart, a flashing ball, some other squishy things and through them all in.  She loved it.  She got her arms and hands right in with no problem all on her own.  Active learning, check.



I put the foam covered mirrors in next and she loved that.  She checked herself out for quite a while (Sophie LOVES mirrors in all her play) and was very happy entertaining herself.



This really has endless possibilities and I am already thinking of all the ways we can use this, including as a ball pit on the floor when she is in her HOPSA.  There are no hard sides that she would hurt herself on when stepping into it in bare feet.



When we had her in the HOPSA later that day of course we used the new baby pool.  Lucas got in on the fun too, Sophie thinks the fun factor goes up by 10 billion if Lucas is involved.

My next task is to find some sort of table surface that is tall enough to hold the pool at the right height for her but we improvised in the meantime.  With spring and summer on the way this will be fun to use outside too.  Shaving cream, water, bubble baths for the feet, lots of fun for her is just around the corner.

 


4 comments:

  1. What a terrific idea Rebecca. Sophie looks spellbound looking at all the treasures before her. How high does the "water" table have to be? I'm on the hunt. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great idea! I might have to check the dollar store for one for E. I've been wanting to introduce him to things like sand, etc. but for him I find the shoe type bins are too small, and easy for him to toss. The larger bins are too big and expensive it if doesn't work out. Maybe something to aim for when he gets home again. (Thanks for your good wishes and kind thoughts!:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an ingenious idea! I wish I had thought of that back in the days when we needed a sensory bin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You rock! You put so much thought into this stuff-amazing!

    ReplyDelete