Saturday, February 25, 2012

A little bit of this..

We are dealing with some health issues with Sophie that are causing us some concern right now.  We ended up at Urgent care on the long weekend because of severe bruising on Sophie's limbs that is being caused by low platelet levels.  We have some decisions to make because we believe that it is a side effect of one of her seizure meds.  We are doing some more tests next week to see if the issue is worsening and then we have to decide what to do.  We have pretty good seizure control right now so we don't really want to mess with her cocktail if we don't have to.  But with that said, Sophie had 2 seizures yesterday and that is very rare.  It has only happened one time before so it is one more thing to think about.

We have been doing some fun things though and we are excited for birthdays next month and Easter not long after that, which means that spring is just around the corner. 

Lucas has been taking skating lessons this winter and he is gaining skills every week.  He is more confident on the ice and he is having fun.



He is also taking basketball lessons this winter and he is loving it.  He is pretty obsessed with it lately and I find myself playing basketball drills in our basement most nights with him.  I know that as we get closer to the spring his priority with turn back to soccer.  I love that he throws himself into each sport whole heartedly until it is time to try something new again.



Sophie is taking her swim lessons again at Making Waves and she is loving it, the water is warmer this time around so the experience has been nicer for her.  Her volunteer instructor is great and it is nice to see Sophie so independant in the water, she kicks and is of course ever interested in all the kids around her.

Before we headed down to Florida for our trip I was able to order some things online for Sophie that would have been too expensive to ship to Canada, or weren't available to order here and I had them sent to Jason's dad's house down there.  We have been having fun with some of Sophie's new toys...

One of the many things I bought was a light pad, I have lots of ideas in the works for this.  Sophie was quite intrigued by it the first time we used it.



One of the other items I bought was an Actitunnel.  Sophie has used this at therapy before and I am really glad I bought one for her.  We used it alot in Florida and I know that it is going to get a lot of use here.  I have added some light up toys and it keeps her very engaged in her play.  We have used little rooms in the past and this is a nice portable version of a little room that will grow with her nicely.




 

She has had lots of smiles each time we have used it, I think it will be a great piece of equipment for her to improve her hand eye co-ordination and of course it involves active learning, my favourite method of Sophie interacting with the toys (and the world) around her.

No comments:

Post a Comment