Sunday, March 11, 2012

Under the weather

Sophie has been sick for over a week now with fevers going from high to low grade, lots of coughing and tons of secretions.  We have been treating her with meds to help with the fevers and keep her comfy, we figured at first it was just a cold that she would get over.  In typical Sophie style she just got worse each day.  She was home with her nurse on Friday and she had deteriorated so much that her nurse called me at work and said she needed to be taken to the hospital.  So I came right home and took Sophie in.  It was good that we did, they found a badly infected ear so she is on antibiotics and she has been put on prednisone for her respiratory distress.  No pneumonia (we were pretty sure her lungs were clear) but they said that she does have a spot on her lungs and that may just be her new baseline.  All the pneumonias and intubations may have caused her some permanent lung damage.


We have been suctioning her when she gets into her bad coughing and choking episodes and it seems to be helping, she just needs that little extra help to get it cleared.  She can't lay down for more than a couple minutes or she starts panicking from all the secretions sitting in her throat so she has been having a hard time getting to sleep or even resting.  I am hoping that by tomorrow she will be starting to be noticeably better, today and yesterday she has just kind of plateaued, but no crying out and moaning like we had seen on Thursday and Friday at her worst, her ear must have been killing her.  She had been thrusting her tongue out non-stop and now I think it was because she was having pain radiating from her ear and that was the way she was dealing with it. I am putting that little clue in my mental notebook.  If only my girl could tell me where it hurt.  This illness is almost a carbon copy of the six week nightmare she had in November/December.


Yesterday and today were such gorgeous days and Sophie was really wanting to be outside with her brother but she isn't well enough yet.  She was so cute yesterday looking out the window with Riley, just watching Lucas and Jason play basketball.  She was happy as long as she could see them.  Hopefully she will be better for most of March break and we can start looking forward to spring.

4 comments:

  1. Oh no...poor Sophie.
    Julie has been sick with pneumonia for the past week and a half.
    Our poor girls. Hopefully they're both back to good health soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that Sophie is well on the mend now. She's had a bit of a rough go lately. That is so sweet that she likes to watch out the window as the boys play. I really like the first picture of her. It is the first time I really took notice of her eye colour...I think E's are the same colour (sometimes hard to tell on photos). They definitely have a similar look...it's almost as though she can see into you (if that makes sense).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am finally all caught up on everything! I've been wondering how you guys are doing since it's been ages since I saw you. You've been having fun!! Florida, new toys, communication tools, school plans, bowling... awesome! Although I am sad to hear that poor little miss is sick again!! It's been a bad winter here of nonstop colds, but thankfully nothing worse. I hope she kicks this soon and we get to see you guys again. I still want to see those new wheels in action!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everybody!

    The pictures are tremendous, as usual. I so appreciate being able to be a part of the London activities. It's always good to see MJ and B. Love the picture of Sophie and pup.

    Prayers for a quick recovery and for strength and energy for you all.
    Affec: Brenda

    ReplyDelete