Thursday, March 22, 2012

Over the rainbow

This morning when I woke up I was relieved to see that I hadn't slept past Sophie's birth time.  Sophie turned six years old today.  When I went into her room about one minute before the moment she was born she was still asleep, but awoke just as the clock changed.  She stretched a bit and then slowly opened her eyes as she often does and hit me with a huge smile.  Sophie is the most awesome waker upper in the world and it makes me happy to see her so content.


Just after she was awake the sun started to pour in her room and all of a sudden there was a rainbow streaking across her body.

A freaking rainbow. 

From her knees to her shoulder she was lit up by a crescent of purple, green, orange and every other beautiful colour of the rainbow that had somehow found her and I realized today would be a good day.  A great day.


My girl is six and she is here for me to nuzzle into her cheek to give her kisses and to hold her hand. She is healthy today and learning and growing and thriving. Not just surviving. We have been there done that and then some.

Things I learned tonight... 1. You should light sparklers close to your final destination.  2. Smoke alarms are loud.  3. It is more fun for the birthday girl when you see all six sparklers lit rather than 5 stumps and one sparkler, although she still thought it was awesome. :p

Today was party day and Sophie loved every minute of it. She had a blast all day at daycare, all the kids loved treating Sophie like a princess today. Then we had a family party tonight. She loved opening all her presents, she was so focused and curious.


What is that coming out of the bag?

Oooohh, I know them.

The Wiggles!!!!



Happy Birthday Sophie.  Keep on changing the world with every little flap of those butterfly wings.

8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful glowing birthday girl :) I love her smile when she was looking at the sparkler and the wiggles dvd :) she knows what she likes.


    Happy Happy Birthday Miss Sophie :)

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Sophie! Her smiles are so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday sweet girl! Love the birthday smiles. And a birthday rainbow?! Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday beautiful! Such a life changer.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love the rainbow!! How perfect, simply perfect. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPHIE!!!!

    I have to admit - I'm a wee bit disappointed that Lucas didn't consider her birthday party as a reason to get dressed up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SOPHIE! :) You've grown into such a big girl. I loved the description of your day. It started perfectly with how you woke up and smiled for your mom (melting her heart no doubt!), the rainbow that found you and all those great wishes you got! You look awesome in your new chair. Beautiful photos, the joy just jumps from them! Here's hoping your year is filled with good health, love and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, this post brought a tear to my eye. What a special memory to wake up to a rainbow, on your birthday girl. No amount of money could buy that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My favourite pic is the very last one of brother and sister!!! She is so beautiful, Im glad she was feeling well for her birthday! xo

    ReplyDelete