Monday, December 10, 2012

Songboards, what's not to love.

This past Friday there was no nurse available for Sophie at school so she had to have a home day with me.  We had a fun day and did some computer switch work and we also pulled out one of her favourite items, her songboards.


We have an Old MacDonald songboard and a Wheels on the Bus songboard that are on loan to us.  We use these pretty much every day because she loves them so much.  The songboards are an excellent way for us to incorporate symbols into Sophie's day.  She responds very well to music and songs so it is a wonderful way to keep her engaged while using the symbols with her.


This songboard folds in half, on the back side it has a strip of velcro where I can put symbols for her to make a choice.  We keep it to two choices for Sophie and she lets us know which animal she wants to sing about next by giving a smile, a look or a touch to the symbol she wants.


She LOVES it so much, I think she would have us sing these to her all day if she had her way.

I have found a few other songboards on Boardmaker Share, a wonderful online community where you can find other boards that people have made with Boardmaker.  I am still learning Boardmaker but it will be so awesome once I master it.  I will be able to make symbols for us at home for whatever subject I like.  For example, if we are heading to the beach I could make a board about that.


The school is working hard with symbols as well and it is just a matter of time before Sophie starts to memorize some of the symbols, then we move on to her having an usable language. 

Smiles to that!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you had a great day home singing with Sophie! Those are some neat boards it looks like the possibilities with Boardmaker are pretty much endless - especially with your creativity. I never really thought about all the applications you could use it for, pretty neat to see! I hope everyone is doing well!

    ReplyDelete