Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Dreaming of far off lands

It is snowing again here, all the melted snow is being replaced with big fluffly new flakes.  It is feeling like January should and I don't like it one bit.  I am wishing I was on my way to Hawai'i again, this time with the blink of an eye, not 20 hours of travel.

Can you feel the warmth?!  This was where we had dinner at our hotel each night.  Ahhhhh.


But we are here all snuggled up in our home, pulling out more fleece blankets and settling in for the long winter that is ahead of us.  Sophie has been having difficulty with the cold and she has been shivering alot, even inside where it is 22 degrees.

We just need a little of this...



And the rainforests in Hawai'i were, in one word, breathtaking.  They simply were the most amazing landscapes I have seen in a very long time.  I have traveled to many places and the rainforests here just spoke to you of ancient times.  You could feel their history, their ancestors, the mists were so mysterious and I have never seen so many rainbows in my life.








It was so very majestic and it just went on for as far as the eye could see.  The mountains are not green from moss, they are green because they are covered in trees.  It was hard to tell but they were huge trees that are unlike any we have here in Canada.




And then we came across the lava beaches.  They had these amazing green plants growing on the hardened lava.  We were told that lava carried good and bad spirits, but you never knew which piece held which so it was a bad idea to take any from the beach.  A ploy to keep the lava at the beach?  Probably, but I didn't really want to find out. 

The green and black against the blue sky and ocean was so beautiful.




No surfboards for us here at home, but Lucas has his snowboard all ready to go.  It will have to do :)

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, these are breathtaking! Looks like it was an amazing trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You want that more than this lovely snow? I don't understand...;) I love, love, love the "bird" background wallpaper. It's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just mean! ;) It looks so lovely and warm. I am finding it hard to keep warm here. I love the colours in the photos! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You took some really great photos. I think you should blow up a favourite and frame it to remember your trip.

    ReplyDelete