Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Easter lit up

A couple months ago I found some ideas online about Easter egg hunts that were glow versions for kids to do in the dark.  One of the ideas was from Play at Home Mom and I knew that I had to try to do the same kind of idea for Sophie.  Because of Sophie's severe CVI (cortical vision impairment) I like to find things that are lit, glowing or reflective in much of our play.  This glowing Easter egg hunt would be perfect. 

Sophie off to start her egg hunt, you can see one of the glowing eggs on the couch.


I completely lucked out over a month ago and found some LED colour changing Easter eggs.  They are nice and big and have an on\off switch so they should last a long time.  They were also really inexpensive at $2 each.


Lucas and Sophie both got some glow silly putty in their Easter baskets,  I can't wait to see how that looks.  Sophie also received a little light up chick.  The Easter bunny brought some fun things this year!
Sophe hunted for her eggs in the Mustang walker that we are trialing and she did very well.  She had only used it two times before this and she navigated it quite well.


Lucas was a very good Easter egg assistant and helped Sophie put the eggs she spotted into her basket.


This was how the illuminated eggs looked with the lights out.  They rotate through a colour cycle so it was fun to watch them in action.  These will be a regular part of our play now!




The next day Sophie and I got out her light pad and put all her plastic Easter eggs on it.  They glowed wonderfully and Sophie had lots of fun knocking them off.  I put some waxed paper under them and she really responded to the crinkly noise it made.  I think that was what got her really reaching for the eggs.  It also dulled the light a little bit for her.





I put Sophie on my lap for a bit and we played some more with the eggs.  She thought it was very funny to knock them all off and even kick the light pad off our lap. 


Hope you had a fun and wonderful Easter too!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy to get to see glow egg pics! My dh did one with our girls, but can't quite operate the camera. ;) It sounds like it went well for you! We just used glow bracelets in ours. Where did you find the LED eggs? I think that might be better. Oddly though, a few of our bracelets are still glowing in the girls' rooms a night later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks LJ! I bought the eggs at dollarama :)
      If you put glow bracelets in the freezer they will last longer too. We love glow baths for fun!

      Delete
  2. Very cool!! You always find brilliant ideas. Love the pettiskirt! ;) Nice to see the Mustang in action also (well, sort of, pictures of it anyway!).

    ReplyDelete