Sunday, November 14, 2010

The Big City - Part One

This weekend we got to have a short getaway to T.O.  Jason was there for business so Lucas and I headed up by train to meet up with him.  Sophie was at her in-patient program for the weekend so we decided it would be nice to make this a special weekend with Lucas.  Sophie gets alot of our attention so we really try to shower Lucas with quality time when we can.

On the train...




Lucas has been on the train two times before and he was very excited to go for another trip on one.    He gave me his regular photo-tude as a warning but I bribed him with some candy for a couple nice shots.  You do what you gotta do, right?  The ride was fun and we arrived to a hectic and bustling Union Station.  Lucas was a little overwhelmed (and excited) by all the honking and mayhem out front of the station, it was gridlocked for blocks on the south side, we crossed the road and hopped in a taxi and we were off once again.  We didn't arrive in Toronto until 10:00pm so it was a late night for him once we got settled at the hotel.

Saturday morning we headed out to Fort York.  Lucas is very interested in history and cultures and ancient civilizations.  So we figured he would enjoy a trip back to 1812.  He was really wanting to take a street-car, which he has never done, so we hopped on the College St. line and made our way across town.  He thought it was very cool.





Lucas was sure that I couldn't see him behind the pole.    Guards must have been shorter in 1812



We did the whole fort and Lucas really enjoyed it all, he sucked up the details like a sponge.  The amazing thing is that he will remember it all.


No wild parties I guess...

Down the steep stairs to the oldest existing kitchen in Toronto.  The money vault was also down there.  That little dark entrance led to the vault.  Lucas said it seemed "ghostly" in there.  I agreed whole heartedly.  We beat it out of there.


 What mother wouldn't be proud of this picture.....   Geez.



All I heard when taking this shot out the window was "Oh God, she's getting artsy".  I could feel the love.  But I quite like how the glass made the other building look like a wobbly house :)





Lucas loved this sailing ship, it is hard to tell here but it is about 5 ft. tall. 


These used to be on the fort walls, maybe one too many tourists got impaled and ruined the authenticity for everyone ;)


Another bribery photo.  He got "toxic waste" candy.  I know, mother of the year.


We had a fun day at Fort York and then caught the streetcar to Queen St. West for lunch at the Queen Mother, my old favourite from when we lived in Toronto.  Lucas informed us he was only willing to eat if he got spring rolls, so it worked out just fine since it is a Thai restaurant.  He also got special treatment from the waitress with his chocolate milk.  He must be cute or something :)




2 comments:

  1. I bribe my kids with candy too. It's completely normal. ;) Lucas seems like such a smart and interesting boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were giving L a bribe everytime we left therapy...it was for her to be good during pick up. I've not done it much lately though. Some nice pictures, makes me wanna check it out. I had no clue they had that there. C says similar things when I get 'artsy' with photos. ;)

    ReplyDelete