Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Not the fever!

It's ok, it's just cabin fever ;)

Sophie must have a pretty big case of it by now with 4 1/2 weeks at home except for hospital trips and one trip to the mall which was a bad idea after the fact.  We have taken her off all food for the last two days since the explosive bm's were not going away.  She is on pedialyte and I am hoping that at least by tomorrow we will see a difference.  She had two very odd seizures yesterday so we are keeping a close watch on her because of the increase in her seizure activity.

With this cabin fever she is a bit vocal when she isn't being entertained properly so I have been trying to think up ways to keep her entertained that are fun for her.  Not therapy, not educational, just fun.  Of course it reaps those benefits as well no doubt, but that is not my goal.  Sometimes you just have to have fun for fun's sake.  I think it can be automatic for all play in the life of a child with severe disability to hinge on therapy, but it needn't be so.  Over the last few days we did some switch games and she is still really enjoying them.  We found some Christmas ones and she thought it was great when the music would start to play and the character would appear after SHE made it happen.



We also found some funny ones that she would crack an egg and a chicken would appear.  Here is some video of my girl rockin' her game.



We finally got all of the Christmas decorations up with the help of my mom.  Lucas was interested at first and then beat it when he had had enough.  He thought the french horn was pretty awesome though and we heard a few minutes of assorted noises.  Then at some point he informed us it had switched into farts and segued quickly after that into diarrhea noises (his words, not mine ;p ).  Such lovely accompanying music for us.  But that is part of being a boy and we have obviously been talking about it a lot here.


Back to Christmas...




Sophie was liking the lights and the tree very much, she had alot of fun seeing us put the basics together and then helped us put a few bulbs on too.  She gave me a few smiles but she really just wanted to watch Lucas trim the tree.  She adores him so much and just can't get enough of her big brother.



Today I thought we would try some Christmas crafts.  I had purchased some waxed paper because I wanted to try some window art with Sophie.  I had found the idea here from Play at Home Mom, one of my absolute fave craft bloggers.  They painted right on the glass but with Sophie I wanted to keep it a bit safer since she swipes her arms so fast, so I figured the waxed paper would work.  The idea of it was fine, but Sophie got very excited with it and no matter how much I taped it down she managed to get it crinkled up and torn apart lol.  I think I will be able to save some of the pieces, I will put them in a glass frame and put in the window when they are dry. 




ATTACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Since we didn't get to do as much with the waxed paper as I had planned we pulled out a canvas and she finger painted on that and then we added glitter.  She loved shaking on the glitter and it is now hanging in our front hall for Christmas for everyone to see.







the final masterpiece up on the wall..


This painting shows more than any other how much Sophie favours her left hand.  Maybe we have a leftie in the making.  By the time we were done Sophie was covered in paint, in her hair and all over her chair.  You know fun was had when you make a mess.

4 comments:

  1. What a mess, but such great art came of it. I imagine E's art would be similar since he too favours the left. She looks like she is having such great fun, I always worry about how to clean up the mess... I bet it is a great sensory thing! I'd love to know where you found the holiday switch games. DH created a switch for E, but he seems to get tired of the Priory Woods site. I'm sure he'd love some new games to play/watch. Sophie looks so great (hard to believe she's been unwell for so long!), and it looks like you're ready for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you're doing an awesome job of keeping the cabin fever at bay mom! Love love the video, so awesome to see how well she does with the switch. Love her masterpiece too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of Sophie as John Claude Riopelle, but the art gallery might give her a showing. Eat your heart out Grandpa!

    Uncle Peter

    ReplyDelete
  4. Things seem to be looking up. So glad to see Sophie looking brighter, not to mention that very bright and glittery picture.
    Love the horn playing Lucus!

    ReplyDelete