Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas time in Waikiki

It was kind of funny how everything was done up for Christmas in Waikiki even though it was 80 degrees and no chance of snow.  Our first night in O'ahu we strolled the main area of Waikiki and saw all the Christmas lights.  The main street in Waikiki is like 5th Avenue, all the super expensive shops that I don't even feel comfortable walking into.  There was an international marketplace that we had alot of fun shopping in though and Jason was able to pick up some Hawaiian shirts that I made fun of but they are actually pretty nice.

This lamp was the first thing I noticed when we walked in our hotel room, I had to laugh at it but it certainly grew on me all the same :)



I loved this little Santa in a grass skirt.  Christmas in Waikiki was completely summed up in this little storefront window, surfboard and all.


This is the entrance to our hotel, it was a very nice hotel and we had a view of the ocean so I was able to see the surf while I was in the hotel for the first few days.


Of course in Hawai'i, it's all about the surfing.  The north shore is where all the big competitions happen and there were surfer dudes everywhere.  We wanted to try it out, but with me being sick for so long we didn't get a chance.  We did rent an outrigger canoe and ride the waves back to shore in that, it was awesome and so much fun!!


The trees in O'ahu are so majestic and incredibly beautiful.  We went for some trips through the rainforests and it was incredible, the trees were so. big.  So different from any of the tree species we have here in Ontario. 
 
Lots more pictures to come, but Sophie just woke from her nap :)

3 comments:

  1. I like how they have adapted the holiday to their climate...makes a lot of sense to do it that way. I would rather that kind of weather than the snow we've got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we were in Cuba last year, there were decorations up as well. And, at night in the lobby there was Christmas music playing. very festive.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a beautiful place to visit. I want to see your Hawaiian shirts.

    ReplyDelete