Thursday, April 28, 2011

Ipad love

Sophie is rockin the Ipad.  She is amazing me everyday with what she is doing!  I don't have many pictures because she is usually sitting on my lap with me holding the Ipad, but I am hoping to get a stand soon so that she can have it on her tray or beside her on her mat without me having to hold it.

Mommy brag.... I have been noticing an incredible change in the fine motor use of her right hand.  She is purposely moving her wrist to move her fisted hand off and on the ipad screen.  I was so excited to see her using her hand this way.  This is so huge because Sophie has very limited use of her hands as far as fine motor skills, to me it is like Lucas taking his first steps.  It was one of those take your breath away moments as a mom that you will never forget.  It is a milestone.
She has learned how to swipe at the screen in order to change the page as she needs to.  It is often Sophie style, so the arm flings way back behind her and then comes swinging forward with abandon.  But it is actually very purposeful and she hits the screen as needed.
 I would say that she has definite favourites as far as apps.  She is definitely telling me when she could care less about an app (by ignoring it) or when she is intrigued by one.   I have spent most of my evenings over the last month searching for appropriate apps for Sophie to use.  Luckily, there are lots and I have found some great ones, and I haven't paid for one yet.  I know that there are a few that I will definitely upgrade to the paid version soon.

Some of our favourite Ipad Apps so far:

iLoveFireworks lite
Peekaboo Barn lite
Awesome Xylophone
Look Baby
Zoola Lite
FartPianoFree (enouugh said lol)
ABA flashcards - Actions
 - (all the ABA flashcards series is free for April)
Talking Dodo HD
Scratch A Sketch lite
Art of Glow
Baby Finger
GuitarNeck lite
iBeams lite
iComm lite
Miss Spider #2 lite
Glow Draw
Sound Touch lite
Baby Piano HD lite
cosmic top
Elmo loves ABC's
Animal Sounds

Sophie has been having a little congestion lately and tonight she had a seizure.  It wasn't a big one and lasted only 3 minutes.  Lucas came to let me know that she was having the seizure, Jason and Lucas had been sitting with her in the living room.  After the seizure Lucas asked me if people who don't have other medical problems have seizures.  I told him that yes, there are people who have epilepsy and they may not have any other problems.  He is always asking interesting things and I wonder if he was asking because he is unsure if he will start having seizures.  Sophie's seizure disorder has been scary for everyone around us and I think that it is good that we keep talking about it.  Hopefully no more seizures tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Lucas is so sweet. He is definitely at the age where he understands and can think ahead.

    The ipad is an amazing device. I wish it would have been available so much sooner. Sophie you are so very lucky to have something to help you.
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband said you should email apple and tell them your story about her improvements. he says they would love to hear about it. :)
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great to hear Sophie is doing well with the iPad. We're thinking of getting one for E for Christmas (group gift). I'm sure he would love it! I'm sorry to hear she had another seizure and that Lucas is trying to figure out how he (and likely the rest of the family) fit into the whole seizure scope of things. I bet talking about it helps him process things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome about the iPad!!!! Go SOPHIE!! And fartpiano?? LMAO!! Oh, my. I will have to get that one for the girls, it's right up their alley.

    ReplyDelete