Sunday, April 3, 2011

Mini getaway part deux

Our next full day in Montreal we headed to the Biodome and the Botanical Gardens which also has a butterfly conservatory.  Lucas really enjoyed the Biodome, he loved all the different regions of Canada and how diverse they are.




Then it was off for a long walk through the Botanical gardens, it was a lonngggg walk and Lucas was not enjoying it.  But we finally got to the maple sugar shack and a museum about trees and he really enjoyed the museum.  It had alot of interactive displays and it was just the perfect place to warm up for a bit.



We got some boiled maple syrup/sap to roll on the ice, it was really neat and none of us had done that before.  It was super sweet and then of course we had to buy some Quebecois syrup too. :)


 Next it was the long walk back to the Butterfly Conservatory.  We had a long wait (over an hour) that wound through the greenhouses.  There were some really beautiful exotic flowers and some incredible century old bonsai trees.  Lucas thought it was amazing that these trees were 70-100 years old yet still so small and fragile.







Then the butterflies!  Sophie would have loved these and it really made me miss her.  She is my butterfly girl (hence the name of my blog) and I wish she could have been there to see them with us.  There were hundreds of them and they were so incredibly beautiful.



 This one is as big as you think, it was gigantic!

Lucas was very excited to take this picture for me, a butterfly had landed on his hoodie that I was holding.

This is a photo of Lucas in the hotel elevator.  His highlight of the hotel was the window in the elevator that let you see the whole city as you went higher and higher.  We would actually wait for the elevators on that side of the building so that he could see out.  It also helped that we were on the 25th floor!

On the last day Lucas and I did a little shopping in the underground mall and I found some super cute clothes for Sophie in a french children's store.  They have the best clothing and style in Montreal, I realized how stale my wardrobe has become since leaving there many years ago.  We hit Eggspectations for breakfast, a place that we used to frequent when we lived there.  And Jason made the trek to the St.Viateur bagel shop and we brought home our dozen Montreal bagels, we couldn't leave without that.

We will have to head back to Montreal soon, there was so much we didn't do and we all had so much fun.  

2 comments:

  1. I think your tours on day two would be the kind our two younger children would enjoy. It looked like they had a good number of butterflies (I was disappiontemd there were so few at the local one last fall), I have heard good things about the Niagrar Falls one too... It really looks like a fun trip was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucas you are getting so big!
    Rebecca, I had a nice visit with my princess Sophie at lunch time today at the daycare. I definitely miss her and Lucas. <3
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete