Friday, April 8, 2011

The Parade of Swans

Last weekend we took a day trip to see The Parade of Swans.  A city nearby has a whole group of swans that they bring in for the winter and then in the spring they release to the river.  My sister told me that it was happening so we all headed out to spot us some swans.

We waited along the parade route for the swans to pass us on their way to the river.  The kids were cold and anxious but they survived lol.


We finally caught sight of a little guy coming around the bend.



We were thinking we'd been duped!  That's a flippin' goose!

Then the band came...

But the goose was just the teaser show.  Suddenly around the bend came the whole group of swans.



And before we knew it they were gone and the crowd swallowed up the road.  We followed along and waited to see them in the river.

They really are very beautiful.  I didn't get a picture of him, but the swan at the front of the line was a black swan.  I had never seen one before so it was great to see him up close.



This guy was all puffed up because he was in fighting mode with another swan.  They attacked each other's wings viciously and I really thought a swan was going to be drowned with hundreds of kids standing on the bank of the river watching.  Luckily I didn't have to explain that.


Thanks, swans, for all swimming away just as I took the photo :p

We had a fun day out, can't wait for more days like this as the days get warmer and the sun starts to shine.

3 comments:

  1. That's really cool! I had never heard about that until this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is funny! I wonder how they get the birds to parade like that. Looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun. The swans are beautiful

    ReplyDelete