Saturday, April 2, 2011

Mini getaway

It has been a while since I have had a moment to blog and now that I do, I don't know where to start!

So I will start with a request to keep in your prayers a little friend of Sophie's, he had emergency surgery this morning.  He has had a rough winter but he is a fighter, just like my girl, so we know he will be up and about soon!

We have had a busy few weeks with Sophie's birthday and she has had an increase in seizures the last week and a half, we aren't sure why, but she is doing well otherwise thankfully.  

We had a mini getaway with Lucas last weekend.  Jason was in Montreal for a conference so Lucas and I decided to join him part way through his trip.  Lucas had been really wanting to go on a plane again.  He doesn't remember his first plane ride at 7 months old, so we thought this would be a fun little trip.  We had enough aeroplan miles for free tickets for the 2 of us so we booked it!  I hadn't been to Montreal for a number of years (pre-kids) and have wanted to go for a while.  Jason and I lived there for a few years and I miss it quite a bit.  We had a great long weekend.  This is pic heavy, so be prepared :)

 I have not seen Lucas so excited in a very long time.  He was giddy at the airport and boarding the plane.




Lucas and I arrived after midnight and he was exhausted.  But he was very good the next day even though he was still tired.  We went down to Old Montreal while Jason was at his conference.  We did the Pointe-a-Calliere Museum and had a nice lunch.  




I had planned to search out this authentic Art Nouveau Parisian Metro entrance which I had come across online before our trip.  It was a gift from France and is the only one in the world other than in Paris.  I hadn't been to this metro stop when we lived in Montreal and I was going to look for it, would you believe it was at our Hotel metro stop.  When Lucas and I arrived at it I did a double take and was so excited!!  I love art nouveau style and this entrance was beautiful.


Notre Dame Basilica in old Montreal


 Old Montreal and port









Time to go. lol!  The freezing wind whipping up off the water was unreal at this spot.  It was bitter cold walking around and Lucas was needing a break so we headed up to the downtown to meet Jason.
  

One of our old apartment buildings is in the background of this photo.  I used these fence posts many slippery winter mornings to steady myself while walking (sliding) down Peel St. from our 1st apartment.  We were there during the infamous ice storm and it was unreal.  All winters in Montreal are pretty intense and we lived halfway up the mountain, so it was pretty steep.


This is the law school at McGill where Jason went.  The dark brown building on the right of it used to have our 1st apartment there, they tore it down to build the law library that is there now.


In our infinite wisdom we decided to climb Mont Royal that afternoon.  Apparently we actually lost our minds.  It was an ice fest and we didn't know how we were going to get back down once we had made it to the top.  So Jason said lets try another route, even though I assured him that we couldn't get to Mont Royal metro station off that side of the mountain.  Apparently I am always right ;)   So we walked around the entire top of the mountain, and let's just say Lucas was not on board.  At least on the way up/down Mont Royal  some of the areas have stairs now, they didn't have those when we lived there. 

 It was a beautiful crisp day and it was fun to see the views again from the top of Montreal.







It's hard to tell in this photo, but it was pure ice and very steep.  Not exactly a leisurely stroll up and down the mountain.  But we made it and had a nice dinner downtown and then headed back to the hotel so the boys could have a swim.  We fell into bed exhausted and were ready for another fun day the next morning.

To be cont'd...

3 comments:

  1. Glad you got some fun time with your son, Thats so important! Beautiful pics, makes me feel better about living in freezing MI;) Hugs Laila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics. Looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Rebecca. ;) Those are wonderful photos, I've not been to Montreal, parts of it remind me of sights you would see in Europe. Glad to hear you had such a nice visit. I bet Lucas was more willing to be photographed because he got to ride in a plane. ;)

    ReplyDelete